Some fast facts about me
- more than 30 books published in 11 languages
- Short stories selected for many anthologies including Pushcart Prize 2012 and Best European Fiction 2018
- Screenwriter of award-winning feature films (Golden Palm for the best film of the XXII Mostra de Valencia, European CIRCOM Award for the Best TV Film of 1992), short films and TV films
- Director of award-winning feature film, documentaries and short films (Best screenplay at Raindance festival London, Best director award at the Highgate Film Festival in London, Best screenplay at FEST, Belgrade, …)
- MA in Creative Writing for Film and Television, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
- PhD in Anthropology of Everyday Life, Institutum Studiorum Humanitatis, Slovenia
- Voting member of the European Film Academy.
- Usability and customer excellence expert and consultant, currently working for Slovenian Telekom.
Scripts & Films
– The best Slovenian novel of the year for The Cartier Project
– ‘Zlata ptica’ award for excellent artistic achievement by a young writer
– European CIRCOM Award for the Best TV Film of the year for The Cartier Project
– Award for the best screenplay for the TV film Thomas in the TV Slovenia competition
– Award for the best screenplay for the short film The Call in the TV Slovenia competition
– Best director award on The Highgate Film Festival, London
– ‘Vesna’ award for the best screenplay for Sweet Dreams, Slovenian Film Festival
– ‘Vesna’ award for the best film for Sweet Dreams, Slovenian Film Festival
– Golden palm for the best film of the XXII Mostra de Valencia for Sweet Dreams
– FIPRESCI (International Federation of Film Critics) film prize at the Troia Film Festival in Portugal for Sweet Dreams
– “Der Heinrich” award at The Braunschweig Filmfest, Germany for Sweet Dreams
– Detroit Free Press has named The Cartier Project as one of her Top-Ten novels of 2005.
– Novel Tree of Voices was shortlisted for Desetnica award for the best Slovenian novel for young readers.
– Stage play Flight to Rome was selected as “the most excellent, skilfully written and complex” in the PreGlej competition.
– Very Simple Story was nominated for the Prix Europe award.
– Novel Guarding Hanna was selected by critics as 4th best foreign novel of the year 2008 in Serbia
– The best short story of the Slovenian Book Days 2010 award for the short story Twenty-first Floor
– Finalist of Bristol Short Story Prize 2011 with short story The Flies
The best short film of the year at the Slovenian film festival 2011 for film The Visit
– Pushcart prize for short story That Winter, published in Ecotone magazine
– Short film The Visit wins at the South East European Film Festival, Los Angeles, USA
– “Modra ptica” award for the best YA novel for Star Call
– “Kresnik” award for the best Slovenian novel for Childhood
– The play Going Home was selected as United Kingdom finalist for Creative Europe Playwriting Award for POP Drama. Out of 347 texts, the play ended second.
– Best screenplay for the film Erased, FEST festival, Belgrade, Serbia, 2019
– Best screenplay for the film Erased, Raindance festival, London, UK, 2019
– Best essay of the year, Sodobnost literary magazine
Everybody agrees upon the psychological insight, the complexity, the humor and wonders where the author got his mind and brain.
I’m proud to share a secret – I even kept a receipt.
Detroit Free Press about my novel Crumbs: “Probably the most fascinating novel you will read this year.”
Publishers Weekly about Guarding Hanna: “Thoroughly unique black comedy … delightfully perverse and oddly touching story”.
- A Literature of Independence, The Skinny magazine, February 2014, about the novel Crumbs.